REPORT BY RICHARD ROWLANDS This midweek fixture following Aberdare’s poor display at Dinas Powys saw a vast improvement in attitude and endeavour but the losing streak continues. Manager Wayne Powell made wholesale changes to the line up with the return of Rhys Williams and Phil Clarke to defence with James Harris back between the sticks and a new pairing of Elliot  Morris and Jon Phillips starting up front . There was an early chance for Phillips but his hooked effort fell kindly for Buds keeper Kyle Jones. As the game developed the visitors began to show up well with Scott Armitage creating some dangerous moves from midfield and Levi Rees producing some strong runs keeping the Town defence on their toes. However despite their attacking promptings and some neat movement displayed by Town, neither keeper had really been tested until as far in as the thirtieth minute when Luke Davies, up for a set piece saw his header on goal smartly saved by Jones. In the thirty third minute a Buds free kick taken by Dan Richards saw a static defence allow Kieran Thomas time and space to plant his header past the despairing dive of Harris for the lead. Buds now raised the pressure and minutes later a Levi Rees stinger was well tipped over by Harris. Buds were certainly in the ascendancy though one rare break saw Tomos Morris let fly with a shot that Kyle Jones did well to grasp. Buds came close to extending their lead when a deflected shot on goal saw Harris scrambling back to tip over but the final dangerous move of the half saw Town’s Rhys Tandy and Matthew Glassey combine well to set up Phillips who was bundled over on the edge of the box and his resultant free kick clawed away to safety by the excellent Jones. Half Time: Aberdare Town 0-1 Aberbargoed Buds Having not really hurt Buds in the first period Powell made immediate second half changes with Kevin Davies and Phil Clarke replaced by Seb Haggett and Jordan Coles. The latter was to influence matters greatly with some superb long range passes whilst  overall there was a new found energy in the home team’s play . Man of the match, Rhys Tandy was becoming a handful for the Buds rear guard and he was desevedly involved in the equalizer. A fully thirty yard Coles crossfield pass found the exciting winger and as he approached the box was desperately blocked with the ball running out for a corner. Coles took the set piece and there was Phillips with his initial header hitting the cross bar but rebounding back to him and making no mistake nodding in for a deserved leveller. Buds were under the cosh now but still capable of producing quick breaks from defence and Rees was again the danger when from one such attack Harris had to clamber to safety himself fortunate and a Tom Davies header flash narrowly wide. Midfielder Tomos Morris had picked up an early second half yellow and could count himself lucky not to receive another and with it a red for a so called professional foul to deny a quick break. He was however off the field within minutes having appeared to have picked up a thigh strain  and to be replaced by Myles Case. At the other end Tandy was a constant menace and one move  involving him ,Phillips and Elliot Morris was worthy of an higher stage but unfortunately only ending in a corner. Killian Kingston went close with an header from that set piece. There was to follow shortly, a succession of corners all well taken by Coles but with no one there to apply the finishing touch and the final of this series seeing a Luke Davies header  fly over the cross bar to bring this period of pressure to a unproductive end. But the best chance by far to grab the three points came in the 89th minute when yet again, brilliant wing play by the irrepressible Tandy saw his cross met by the head of Elliot Morris from just a few yards out only to see it balloon over the bar . Hardly had the groans subsided when Buds broke upfield and there was the ever dangerous Levi Rees to strike  home for the lead . The injury time period saw Aberdare desperately commit  all to attack but the chances spurned had come back to bite them before referee Neil Wilcox blew for time. An opportunity to leapfrog fellow strugglers Croesyceiliog and AFC Llwydcoed had been missed and now Aberdare face a series of games against strong promotion hopefuls beginning with a trip west to Ammanford on Saturday and the following Wednesday welcoming Pontypridd Town to the Parc for another floodlight fixture. Man of the Match: Rhys Tandy
Team Line-Up 1 James HARRIS 2 Matthew GLASSEY 3 Phil CLARK 4 Rhys WILLIAMS 5 Luke DAVIES 6 Kevin DAVIES 7 Tom MORRIS 8 Killian KINGSTON 9 John PHILLIPS 10 Elliott MORRIS 11 Rhys TANDY Substitutes 12 Seb HAGGETT 14 Jordan COLES 15 Myles CASE 16 Scott GRIFFITHS 17 -
Aberbargoed Buds
Aberdare Town
Welsh League Div 2
COOKIES | PRIVACY NOTICE The official website of Aberdare Town Football Club. © Aberdare Town AFC 2018. All rights reserved.
Aberdare Town Football Club Aberaman Park Cardiff Road, Aberaman Aberdare CF44 6HA e: Site designed & maintained by: IDP
Sponsor this page from just £10 a season…. you can have your name or business here with a link! >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Welcome to the OFFICIAL website of Aberdare Town