REPORT BY RICHARD ROWLANDS The Town made the journey to the Mayhill area of Swansea and came home with a hard earned point. Leigh Hartshorn and Josh Powell returned to the starting eleven shorn of the midfield axis of Luke Jones and Richard Ingram in a reshuffled team. The swirling wind was an early factor with both sides guilty of some mis hit and over-weighted passes, producing a scrappy encounter and a game that was never really to rise much above the mediocre. Suffice to say that the goals were both penalties, awarded within minutes of each other and with the best chances saved by keepers at the top of their game,  with the resulting draw most would agree, a fair result. Early doors saw Rhys Jones and Rhys Tandy working well in tandem down the right flank but it was not until the 27th minute that either keeper was troubled with first, Town custodian Clint Forbes saving expertly with his feet and moments later West End’s Jack Greenwood tipping a Seb Haggett strike wide of the upright. Other than such occasional flashes neither side seemed capable of breaking the deadlock and it had to be spot kicks to bring the game to life. The first came in the 33rd minute when Rhys Jones was adjudged to have fouled the dangerous Breigh Matthews and the same player fired home for a short lived lead. Four minutes later and it was referee Bullock who this time pointed to the host’s penalty spot. Rhys Jones turned from zero to hero as his pinpoint through ball found Mitchell Boyce who was clattered into by Greenwood.  Up stepped Seb Haggett who hit down the middle with power, for the equalizer. Aberdare now enjoyed what was to be their best spell of the game with Andrew Ellis going close and Hartshorn up for a succession of corners seeing his header going over and a Josh Powell free kick flying wide. Half Time: West End 1-1 Aberdare Town Rhys Jones had appeared to suffer the recurrence of a hamstring injury just before half time and he was replaced for the second half by Kevin Davies with Ellis moving to right back. But this positional change did not last for long with Mitchell Boyce this time suffering a hamstring tweak and Ellis moving back to midfield with Ben Gibbs taking up the right back role.  Between these changes Elliot Morris let loose with a thunderbolt from fully thirty yards which Greenwood did extremely well to get a strong hand to. Aberdare continued to hold the upper hand and in this period produced the best move of the game involving Kevin Davies and Powell with the latter at speed crossing for Haggett whose effort hooked over the bar for would have been a spectacular goal. Tandy and Haggett again went close with a Powell strike arising from a melee in the home penalty area skew wide. Though creating fewer chances, West End were more threatening and Forbes did well to gather a swirling effort with Matthews hitting wide with a goal beckoning .Sam Phillips replace a tiring Rhys Tandy who had put in a strong shift as West End upped the pace. Gareth Jones and Powell were booked as the pressure mounted and man of the match Levi Jones produced a great challenge to deny Tom Matthews. Five minutes of injury time failed to find a winner for either side with the sharing of the spoils a fitting result Man of the Match: Levi Jones
Aberdare Town
West End
Team Line-Up 1 Clint FORBES 2 Rhys JONES 3 Josh POWELL 4 Levi JONES 5 Lee HARTSHORN 6 Gareth JONES 7 Mitchell BOYCE 8 Andrew ELLIS 9 Seb HAGGETT 10 Elliott MORRIS 11 Rhys TANDY Substitutes 12 Kevin DAVIES 14 Ben GIBBS 15 Sam PHILLIPS 16 Shaun CHAPPELL 17 Gareth HARBORD
Welsh League Div 2
COOKIES | PRIVACY NOTICE The official website of Aberdare Town Football Club. © Aberdare Town AFC 2018. All rights reserved.
Aberdare Town Football Club Aberaman Park Cardiff Road, Aberaman Aberdare CF44 6HA e: Site designed & maintained by: IDP
Sponsor this page from just £10 a season…. you can have your name or business here with a link! >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Welcome to the OFFICIAL website of Aberdare Town